Thursday, June 08, 2006

Recent Obsession - dedicated to my father without whose help this would not have been possible!



Well, here it is, the project that has occupied my thoughts since winter. My herb garden. It is in the design of a compass rose. The direction lines are marked (going clockwise) by parsley (East), sage (South), rosemary (West) and thyme (North). I always plant those four herbs in that order because I love the song Scarborough Fair.

There are three kinds of basil: sweet, purple ruffled and queen of Siam. Then there's dill, oregano, tarragon, germander, celantro, sweet marjoram, chamomile, and chives. The onions and garlic can't be seen yet. I have some St. John's Wort that I just started from seed in the greenhouse (Mom gave me the cutest portable greenhouse approx. 4'x3'x2' - surprisingly useful.) and it will go in front of the chamomile when its big enough. There are four kinds of lavender next to the rocks. (There is a shorter rock behind the one in the foreground.) They are English, French, Spanish and Goodwin Gray Creek.

The flowers are marigolds and violas. I'd like twice as many violas for the boarder, but I can't find any right now. I spaced them evenly so if I find more I can add them. They should expand to a respectable boarder in any case. The dragon is named Nelson (After
Lord Admiral Nelson) and he will go on the lower rock. That will free up the taller rock for the sundial that I am going to add as soon as I find the right one.

I haven't decided what to mark the direction lines with. I left space at the end of each row for a post or a rock or something. I wonder if I could get four garden gnomes wearing shirts marked N, S, E, W. Nah, probably not.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always keep yourself so busy...how do you always find the time to write?

Osquer said...

Rowan: Maybe we could plant a tiny version in a big pot! lol! ;-)

Anon: I had a lot of help. I wouldn't have been able to acomplish this without the help of my father. I need to add a dedication to the post.

Anonymous said...

you are being modest.Busy is as busy does.Anon

Osquer said...

Rowan: Start looking for something like a laundry tub or half wine cask.

Anonymous said...

how old are you

Osquer said...

anon: I'm 35. And you?

Paperback Writer said...

Hey, Osquer42:

I know you want to help shape up my sad backyard...

:)

Anonymous said...

old enough to know better,young enough not to care;-)

Osquer said...

That's very slippery of you, anon!

Anonymous said...

Oh I think I am not nearly as slick or slippery as you make me out to be.

bslawg said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so not worthy of your creativity. I kill plastic plants. *sigh*.

Osquer said...

Law Girl: That reminds me of a story my mom tells. When she was dating my father, he couldn't afford to give her a dozen roses, so he would give her one plastic rose a week until she had a dozen.