Sunday, June 25, 2006

I live nowhere near a nuclear power plant.

Okay, so yesterday's four petaled daylily was pretty bizarre, yeah? Imagine my surprise this morning when I looked out and saw this:


That's only two blossoms. Go ahead and take a moment to count petals. This daylily is the sibling of the four petaled version. They are offspring of the same parent bulb! Did this flower get the other's missing petals?


Oh, and in case anyone was wondering about the stamens, this one has eight, and three of them are conjoined.

I do plan to e-mail these photos to Phipps Conservatory to see if they can tell me how common an occurrence this is.

5 comments:

Sam Spade said...

Whatever else that can be said about your unique daylilies ,they are most vibrant and alive!Almost like living fireworks

Paperback Writer said...

There are day lillies next to the walkway leading to the back yard. They are so pretty, but sort of in the way.

I don't have the heart to cut them down....but they do stain my legs as I walk past.

No, check that.

They stain my waist.

Yeah, that's me. Gigantic girl.

Sam Spade said...

...on the other hand,one never can quite explain DNA...how else would you explain my brothers?

Anonymous said...

This is not a daylily. This is an asiatic lilly
cathy

Osquer said...

I thank you for the correction, Cathy. I was going by my dad's identification since he planted them. Heaven only knows what the bulbs were marked when he bought them.