Sunday, June 25, 2006

A diversity of daylilies...

Mutations in nature never cease to fascinate me. I was, therefore, amazed to discover one on my desk this morning.


When I picked this stem of daylilies, only the normal six petaled one was open. This morning the second bud opened with only four petals.


That would be unusual in itself, but on the same stem with a normal one? I also noticed that the four petaled daylily has only five stamens instead of six.


I'll be interested to see what the third bud reveals.

5 comments:

Sam Spade said...

What beautiful daylilies.Why is it that the imperfect gems are always the most valuable and beautiful?And why is it the same with flowers and people?

Bea said...

Wow Sam, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Osquer said...

It takes people like yourselves, Sam and Bea, to notice the diamonds in the rough.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

More beautiful photos!

Bea said...

Imperfections are the beauty and are much more fascinating than the standard.