Sunday, June 04, 2006

Allow me to present Buckingham...


...so named because he frequently takes up position, standing on the wire near the hummingbird feeder, like the Palace Guard. He is a ruby-throated hummingbird and my hummingbird feeders are in his territory. I have seen Buckingham chase other hummingbirds away, even females. Sometimes a female manages to sneak in and get a sip. I've planted snapdragons, morning glories, and lobelia for the little darlings. Sometimes I'll hear their faint squeaks right before one zips past my ear! Or is that the garden gnomes laughing?




3 comments:

Osquer said...

Oh, I love him! At my previous house I had three females: Guenevere, Morgana, and the Lady of Shallot. Believe it or not I could tell them apart by behavior.

Morgana used to fly right up to me (a foot away from my head) and look me in the eye before going about her birdy business.

Paperback Writer said...

Garden gnomes.

Definetley garden gnomes.

Yeah, I know I butchered "definetley."

Osquer said...

I love my Fuji Finepix!